Ruling on Muslims residing in a non-Muslim country


What is your advice for the unemployed Muslim brothers and sisters who live in England and receive financial support from the government? They sometimes get a job but they do not tell the government about it? Is this deed acceptable?


All the Muslims living in non-believers’ countries should migrate to Islamic countries where the rites of Islam are being performed if possible. If they cannot move to such countries, they should migrate to less evil countries, like some of the Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) did when they migrated from Makkah to Abyssinia (Ethiopia) upon to the order of the Prophet (peace be upon him), because Abyssinia at that time was less evil than Makkah before the Conquest of Makkah. If they cannot do this either, they should fear Allah wherever they are; beware of committing what He has prohibited; and fulfill what Allah commands. There is no harm if they take financial support from the government if it does not lead to abandoning something Wajib (obligatory) or committing something prohibited. However, they may not take this support except in a lawful manner decided by the State; and they should not lie to receive it. They should fear Allah in all matters and beware of committing what Allah has prohibited. They should also comprehend the Qur’an and the Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet), and ask the scholars regarding problematic issues, even by phone or in writing. May Allah set right the affairs of all Muslims; protect their faith; grant them comprehension of it; and save them from the evil of themselves and their enemies! He is the Most Generous!